DUI, short for Driving Under Influence, is the act of operating any vehicle or motorized machinery while consuming alcohol or drugs or being under the influence of those substances. There is also a synonymous term, known as DWI, which means Driving While Intoxicated, which also refers to a criminal act of operating or being in physical control of a motorized vehicle, while under the effects of drugs or alcohol. This is considered a criminal offense in every state and almost every country in the world.
Harsh laws and even harsher penalties
The majority of States have rather harsh rules when it comes to dealing with those charged with DUI or DWI cases. These cases usually involve property damage and injuring or killing individuals while under the influence. A person who is faced with these charges can suffer severe financial penalties or be sentenced to some years in prison. Many US States have their own specific DUI and DWI laws which enforce their strict guidelines when it comes to handling these cases. Many State DUI laws also do not allow abolition for those sentenced in DUI cases, so if someone is sentenced to 5 years in prison, he/she will spend the entirety of the sentence in prison, without having the possibility of reducing the sentence.
Look for professional help
DUI charges, of any severity, can be extremely frustrating, lengthy and costly, and their consequences can be quite severe for someone’s personal and professional life. If you are faced with a DUI charge, the first thing you should do is search for and hire a reputable and experienced DUI Attorney in Columbia Maryland.
Why do you need a DUI attorney?
A DUI attorney is a law professional, who specializes in DUI law and who can help those faced with DUI charges. A DUI attorney is the one who will efficiently handle your entire case and make sure all the aspects and elements of the charge are fully and properly analyzed, so as to substantially increase your chances of winning the case, or, at least, getting the lightest sentence possible. He/she knows all the ins and outs of DUI law and possess all the necessary experience when handling these cases. Aside from defending you in the courtroom, he/she can also bargain with other involved parties, so as to strike a deal that will be beneficial to all those involved, thus dropping the need for a lengthy, drawn-out court process.
The major advantages of DUI attorneys are the following
- They are capable of successfully negotiating and reaching a plea deal, which can significantly reduce your prison sentence, as well as reduce any financial penalties and fines.
- An experienced DUI attorney knows all the tricks and legal loopholes, that can get both your charges and the case dropped.
- A DUI attorney is also capable of delaying the case proceedings in the courtroom, if necessary, to minimize the burden on his/her client. He/she can also put in a strong effort in moving the case from one judge, to the other, more favorable one.
- Most DUI attorneys operate 24/7 and can be reached at any time of day and night. They can also be easily reached via numerous forms of communication, including 24/7 phone lines, emails, social media sites and more.
- To ensure the privacy of their clients, DUI attorneys guarantee full confidentiality by respecting the attorney-client privilege. This will encourage the clients to be perfectly honest and divulge all the details of their cases, which can immensely help the attorney in handling their cases.